Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Chef Mik's Sweet Ars Ribs!


I love ribs!! I love short ribs, prime rib, spare ribs, and baby back ribs you name it, I love ribs! Ok so baby back ribs aren’t exactly ribs they still label them that way and are treated the same way so for all intensive purposes their ribs. I remember back in Sweden around Christmas time they make these ginger ribs I refer to as "Viking style" that in my humble opinion are to die for; they are from the pork loin area of the pig and are just mouth wateringly delicious! Not to say that the ribs I am preparing today aren’t also great just different. They are semi sweet with hints of Asia, Europe and the U.S. I prepare this recipe quite often and will say there is one extra step I like to take just before service, dunking them once again in the vat of glaze which I keep warm then toss them in the oven on high heat for just a minute or so then serve them with heaps of napkins! However I have forgone that step today because of whom I’m serving, I might add who are shall we say a bit more fussy when it comes to messy food which is fine by me, to each their own I suppose and as long as they are happy then so am I!

As for technique there are some especially here in the States that poach (some say they boil the ribs but that would just make the meat tough, not tender at all. It is a good way to clean bones though) their ribs first, lather on the BBQ sauce and finish them off. While I don’t typically follow that method I have a few chef friends who do and will confess they make great ribs. I am of the mind if you bake the ribs first this method results in a nice tender product then you can finish with a glaze or (BBQ) sauce. Alternatively smoke on very low heat basting as you go over the course of a few hours resulting in a very moist tender product, lather on a sauce or glaze and finish. But that’s just me, if you want to poach your ribs first so be it!   

Shopping List
Pork loin, baby back or spare ribs
Beet syrup
Honey
Sweet Soy
Fresh ginger
Oranges
Semi Sweet Sherry, optional
Salt
White pepper and other spices if you like

My Mad Method

Begin with the under carriage, if there is any sinew remove that first then season generously








Flip the ribs and season the other side as well sometimes referred to as the presentation side, place on medium rack and bake in a 150c preheated oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes 






 Prepare the glaze reduce the juice from 1 orange together with 2 TBLS honey and 1 TBLS sherry until thickened, add 2 tsp ginger, 1dl syrup, 1 TBLS sweet soy and heat through 






The meat has begun to recede from the bone, and the juice has begun to run clear a tell tail sign the ribs are ready, cool on a wire wrack







When ready to finish the ribs baste well with a generous amount of the glaze and return to a 200c and finish them heating through and caramelizing the ribs 







The ribs are dune and ready to serve!! Smelling great to if I may say so myself…








Ready to eat!!

(shown here with potato - chive pancakes)
 
 
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment