Monday, November 28, 2011

Chef Mik's Coq Au Vin

Coq au vin is a very classic dish traditionally prepared with a rooster which most likely dates back to the days of the Romans. A very earthy dish full of flavor, only takes a few basic essentials and you are on your way! While salt pork (pancetta, lardon, sidfläsk) is most often used bacon is fine. Also as for the red wine more often the not burgundy is the wine of choice however most any red wine will do (not merlot). If you use white wine in place of red the dish is referred to as either coq au blanc or poulet au vin blanc. As for me well, I am using a cabernet from my favorite winery in the Los Angeles area “Saddle Rock” a selection from Malibu Family Wines.

This is a really great dish it’s no wonder it’s been around so long, and the key to the dish is not over thinking it, keep it nice and simple and you’ll be rewarded for your efforts! I like to make this dish in stages whenever possible, here are some idea’s of how I go about it. When I make chicken stock I like to use the back portion, neck, head and feet of the carcass, saving the breasts to be grilled as an entrée or for sandwiches what have you. I also reserve the thighs and drumsticks to be fried or if I will be preparing a sauté, braise or other stew I will prep the legs ahead so they are ready to be used when needed which is what I did here. This simply entails seasoning the chicken with salt and pepper, dredging them in flour then simply browning them off in a pan. In fact yesterday when I was preparing my stock and sautéing my chicken I also prepped the other components; I am using apple wood smoked slab bacon, reserve the bacon drippings to use for your stew later on. I am using crimini mushrooms but most any mushroom will do and instead of pearl onions I am using cipollini onions. Having done that will cut down my prep time today significantly.

Shopping List
Chicken
Salt pork or bacon
Red wine
Poultry stock or broth
Onions
Mushrooms
Leeks
Carrots
Celery
Garlic
Thyme
Parsley
Bay leaves
Unbleached all purpose flour
Arrowroot or corn starch


My Mad Method

Prep chicken by seasoning them with salt and pepper, dredging them in flour, shallow pan frying (browning), drain well set aside








Prep bacon; cutting them to desired length, frying them in a pan, drain well on paper towels; I cut mine in long strips for presentation purposes







Prep the mushrooms and onions by cleaning them, then browning them off in a pan, when done set aside and reserve until needed







Sauté 1 leek, 1 carrot, 2 stocks celery and 2 cloves garlic bruised (optional) in reserved bacon drippings







Add chicken heat through










Add 5 dl chicken stock, 3 to 4 dl’s red wine and bouquet garni bring to boil reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes







When ready remove chicken and set aside. Discard herbs and strain the sauce returning the liquid to the pot, add mushrooms, onions and bacon simmer 30 minutes longer






Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, thicken if need be with arrowroot or cornstarch diluted in stock or water and serve

Ready to eat!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment