Friday, December 2, 2011

Chef Mik's Chicken Picatta

There are so many versions of chicken piccata out there who knows where to begin. Most using some form of lemon sauce finished with butter. When I was in school I was taught to first dredge the veal, fish, pork or chicken in flour and then an egg wash seasoned with parmesan cheese and fry it, close to what they refer to as parmesan here State side. While in Italy I experienced a piccata deep-fried served as its own course. I call this one California style because I usually grill the chicken first, and finish the sauce with Myers lemons which are very common here on the West coast. However today I am dredging the chicken in flour the pan frying it and finishing the sauce with the addition of Parmesan cheese but no butter. I like to prepare the base to my sauce before hand then finish it when together with the chicken

Sorry the pore resolution on some of the photos, it was late there was no natural lighting...

Shopping List
Chicken
Parmesan cheese
Capers
Shallots
Garlic
Parsley
Unbleached all purpose flour
Butter
Extra virgin olive oil
Red pepper flakes, optional
Sea salt
Black pepper

My Mad Method

Clean and butterfly the chicken









Dredge the chicken in seasoned all purpose flour

I have simple seasoned my flour with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper




Infuse 2 cloves garlic and 1 TBSP shallots in 2 TBS clarified butter

I have also added some red pepper flakes 








Add 1 dl white wine, 3 dl chicken broth or stock, and the juice of 1 lemon









Heat 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil together with 1 or 2 TBSP unsalted butter










 
When the butter-oil is at temperature place the chicken presentation side down








When the chicken has browned flip it and brown the other side a couple minutes longer








Add sauce, cook for 5 minutes, it will reduce and thicken slightly, add the juice of 1 lemon, 2 TBSP capers, cook for a minute longer, turn off heat add 2 TBSP each Parmesan and chopped parsley stir melting cheese








Ready to eat
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment