Sunday, December 11, 2011

Chef Mik's Leg of Lamb Provençal

One of my favorite meats has to be lamb, I’ve loved it as far back as I can recall. Historically speaking it is one of the first animals human beings herded for its flesh, its milk and of course its thick coat. It has biblical ties as well, dating all the way back to the stories of Abraham down to Moses, and later on in the Christian books one of the only references to Jesus’ childhood was of him tending the family sheep. It is no doubt a very symbolic creature is western civilization, but that’s not why I love it, I love it because it tastes great! On that note for anyone not accustomed to the flavor let me just add this, it tastes nothing like chicken whatsoever! It is however almost as versatile, its great simply oven roasted or grilled, braised, stewed, poached or pan-fried. You can also use it ground for sausages or patties. Some cook’s and chefs marinate it, while others may prefer a nice spice rub. It’s also great stuffed; some ideas include dried fruit such as dates, figs, raisons, and apricots, to grains, nuts, herbs and so on.

As for today I am going to keep it nice and simple roasting my lamb, it has been deboned which will cut down on cooking time also making it easier to slice, making it a good choice for those who are apprehensive when there are bones involved. You can substitute lamb chops and grill them or a roast a whole rack of lamb if desired which are both quite lean and will cook much faster, something I myself do quite often. But for now I am planning on serving my leg of lamb with a tomato concassé infused with garlic this combination is typically referred to as à la Provençal. I will be presenting my roast sliced on a bed of oven roasted fingerling potato melody (multiple colors) along with French beans, but you can serve yours with whatever you like! (It’s great with couscous and/or basmati rice)  

Shopping List
Boneless leg of lamb
Rosemary
Thyme
Garlic
Extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt
Black pepper

My Mad Method


I have purchased a deboned leg of lamb, which came bound up, to prepare my lamb I have removed the netting





Pearce the flesh from the back side that is covered by a thin layer of fat, then insert slivers of garlic and fresh rosemary





Season the lamb generously with sea salt (or kosher salt) and fresh ground black pepper, infused olive oil with garlic, rosemary and thyme




Tie the lamb (not shown here) with butchers twine and roast in a 165 to 75c preheated oven. I cover my sheet pan with foil first for east clean up





When the lamb is about 60c remove it from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes






Slice, tray up and it’s ready to serve!!








Ready to eat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment