Sunday, December 4, 2011

Chef Mik's Lemon Orange Cake

The first cake recipe I ever came up with in my life was a lemon orange cake; I was 7 or 8 years old at the time. I created it in the kitchen with my mother who was an executive chef in her own right, though she mainly managed restaurants by that point. At any rate to this day it remains one of my favorite cakes of all time. While that recipe having both lemon and orange is somewhat different then this one here, I have always gravitated towards this combination. In fact the first poultry dish I ever came up with was a "Lemon Orange Chicken" with the additions of ginger and garlic, when I was also about 8. Interestingly enough lemon and orange is somewhat common in Mexican cuisine, as is ginger and garlic quite common in Asian cuisine which means I’ve been a practitioner of cross cooking sense childhood! But I digress, I should mention I typically use Myers lemons in the cake and if I serve it with glaze I do so with confectioner’s sugar diluted in Myers lemon juice. Having said that one thing I love about this cake is the texture that comes in the form of the nut crust.

Shopping List
Butter
Caster sugar
Eggs
Vanilla
Myers lemons
Navel oranges or juice oranges
Walnuts
Cranberries
Flour
Baker’s powder
Salt

My Mad Method

Using a paddle cream together 230g butter or margarine and 400g sugar, next add 8 eggs 1 at a time and mix to combine add 2 tsp vanilla extract with last egg.





Add the zest of one lemon and one orange also add 1dl each lemon juice, orange juice.





Incorporate 500-550g unbleached flour, 4ts baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt while mixing.






For this recipe today I am adding 100g each: toasted walnuts and dried cranberries.






Quickly combine the walnuts and cranberries into the batter.







Grease a cake form and fill with the ready cake batter, bake 1 hour or until a tooth pick comes out clean in a preheated 175c (350f) oven, if you like add nuts to the cake form.





Straight out of the oven ready to be plated and served!









Here is another version of the same cake and this is how we sell them.

No comments:

Post a Comment