Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Chinese Chicken Salad



Allow me to begin on a personal note, when I was a child my mother ran several restaurants and every once in a while she would bring home a “Chinese Chicken Salad” I have always loved them! In the spring of 1990 I came out to the States and went straight to a restaurant and there it was “Chinese Chicken Salad” on the menu and I started salivating and had to have it, I can still close my eyes and taste that salad to this day!!

While the name can be somewhat misleading this is as Californian as it gets and can be prepared any number of ways, so you can add, subtract or substitute what you want which makes it great!! Here at FoodPerfected we offer a ton of variations depending on the occasion. For example we offer a wonderful version with snow crab, another with Peking duck, one with grilled lobster and another a distant relative of sorts we call “Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna Salad with Mango-Cilantro Vinaigrette”, one of our own creations I might add and only made to order unlike the one I am preparing today which will be served later buffet style for an office lunch. You’ll notice I prepare it in layers and I pack the chicken, Mandarin oranges, fried wontons (which I fried then flavored with garlic and ginger powder, s&p while still hot) fried rice noodles, and "Sesame-Ginger Dressing" on the side

A couple notes:
while I am using honey and orange juice you can substitute the orange juice and honey for a little of the juice the Mandarin oranges comes with but make sure it has no high fructose corn syrup

They have ready to buy shredded broccoli (broccoli slaw) which makes a great addition or alternative to the lettuce-cabbage

 I also like to add toasted pumpkin seeds (outer shell removed)



Shopping List
Chicken breasts,
Ice berg lettuce
Cabbage
Red cabbage
Carrots
Pickled ginger
Slivered almonds
Cilantro
Scallions
Ginger
Garlic
Rice wine vinegar
Soy sauce
Mushroom soy, optional
Oranges, optional
Honey, optional
Canola oil
Sesame oil, sesame seeds
Wontons
Rice noodles

My Mad Method


Plated version ready to eat!   














Dressing 2 TBSP ginger puree, or 1 TBSP fresh, 1 small garlic clove minced, and 2 dl rice wine vinegar, whisk to combine










 Add 2 TBSP soy sauce, 1/2 TBSP mushroom soy sauce (or to taste, optional), 2 TBSP fresh squeezed orange juice, and 1 tsp honey or sugar (or to taste)








Slowly start adding about 4-6 dl canola or until desired thickness, and tartness









Add 1 TBS toasted sesame seeds and sesame oil to taste









"Sesame-Ginger Dressing with orange and honey" ready to use!









Start by blending together shredded ice berg lettuce and cabbage (Napa is great but not necessary), red cabbage and carrots cut into julienne strips  











 I am using Japanese cucumbers which I have marinated first













Add Chinese style pickled ginger to taste, optional












Add sliced scallion and chopped cilantro to taste














Add a couple TBS slivered and toasted almonds, and we are ready to go!!
(Will feed 4 to 6)
  




























No comments:

Post a Comment