Thursday, November 29, 2012

Lentil Barley Soup



There is a foggy mist draping the city like a cloud swallowing the sun, winter has come to the Southland and the City of Angels is cool and quite. On days like this a hot soup is like a mothers comforting embrace and so it is today I’m making lentil barley soup. Now I have to say this version or versions like are quite common here in the States but I wonder how many people realize that we have been cultivating lentils at least as far back as 10,000 years. Lentils and lentil paste are also often found in Egyptian tombs and around 6000 years ago in Greece they were harvesting lentils, barley and wheat and even made a kind of lentil soup called phake. The Romans served lentils to their soldiers on long marches, and the bible even talks about lentils. I could go on and on about lentils from their heath benefits as they are low in cholesterol, help to balance blood sugar, they are high in iron and sense they are also high in protein they make a great meat substitute. I could talk at length about their versatility as they are great in salads, are the perfect complement to duck comfit, they have a good starch content so they make great vegetarians style burgers and savory pan-fried lentil cakes, and of course they are great in soup or stew. Then there is their wonderful taste maybe I am exaggerating a bit but they seem to mix with everything, and make everything taste earthy and robust be it potatoes, goat cheese, feta cheese, or all on their own. And less I forget all various types of lentils from your typical brown lentil found in almost any grocery store here in North America to red lentils (Masoor daal, or dal) which are also quite common and can be found on most any Indian menu in town. There are the French style green lentils, one of my personal favorites black beluga lentils and the list just goes on an on!  But bottom line when I make a humble soup like lentil soup all of this and more is swirling through my head in equal parts passion and profound respect!

On a side note I can say that back in Europe I think my favorite version of this soup has to be Spanish style lentil soup with sausage and sometimes potatoes great stuff!! But here in L.A. there are a couple Indian lentil and/or dal soups from the sour katti dal to the fiery dal shorva I love! If you are a novice new to lentils think of this recipe I am making today simply as a jumping off point, enjoy it and enjoy you’re journey to come!

Shopping List
Beef, chuck or short ribs or stew meat
Lentils
Barley
Celery
Carrots
Onions
Garlic, optional
Thyme
Parsley
Leeks, optional
Salt and pepper

My Mad Method 

Ready to eat!!











Brown about 250g beef in 1 tsp olive oil, season with salt and pepper to taste, when browned set aside for the time being







Dice and brown celery, carrots and onions in what fat is left from the meat

 






Return the meat to the pot, heat through add 1 or 2 cloves garlic minced (optional)







Assemble a bouquet garni, I have some bones left over so I am tossing them in my spice packet









Add 2L beef stock or broth, 225g brown lentils, and the bouquet garni to the pot, bring to a boil skim off impurities and simmer covered for 45 minutes to an hour





Meanwhile cook 225g barley in lightly salted water for 45 minutes, drain it then add it to the soup and cook the soup 10 to 15 minutes longer, (I already have some barley precooked on hand)





Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste add chopped fresh parsley if desired garnish as you please, serve with a crispy bread and a light salad
 


No comments:

Post a Comment